Kenya Network Information Center (KeNIC) Kenya Print
Since ccTLDs are a national resource, KENIC's mandate is to manage .KE in a manner which serves public and industrial interests. KENIC being representative of the local Internet community, and having full government support, will be able to push Kenya forward in the global internet community.
KENIC's board of directors acknowledged and appreciated the significant contribution made to the .ke domain name system by Dr. Shem Ochuodho (Admin Contact) and Mr. Randy Bush (Technical Contact) who voluntarily facilitated domain name registry services in an acting capacity from 1993.
The broad based consultations that begun in October 2001 were facilitated mainly by the Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) and local Internet stakeholders who later became the KENIC founding members.
KENIC was established to, among others:
- Act as a trustee for the .ke country-code-top-level-domain;
- Become the .ke domain administrative contact as well as technical contact;
- Administer the .ke ccTLD and its Second Level Domains;
- Maintain and promote the operational stability and utility of the .ke ccTLD;
- Ensure a cost-effective administration of the .ke ccTLD and its sub-domains;
- Notify the Internet Corporation of Names and Numbers (ICANN) of any change to the contact information about the.ke ccTLD;
- Provide name service for all .ke and ensure that the database is secure and stable;
- Allow ICANN to access .ke zone files and registration data (up to date) continuously maintain a KENIC website at all times with all the registration information meet all its financial obligations to ICANN comply with all global ICANN Internet policies and help in their development.
KENIC's membership is made of up of full Board Members and Associate Members who comprise of representatives from the Kenyan Internet community and the Government.
KENIC's full board members are drawn from: the Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK), Government IT Services (GITS), Directorate of E-Governance, Telecommunications Services Providers Association of Kenya (TESPOK), Kenya Education Network (KENET), and Industry.
Associate board members are: Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet), Domain-Name Registrar Association of Kenya (DRAKE), and Kenya Internet Marketing Association (KIMA).
For continuity, a former chairperson continues to serve on the Board for a year.
Was this answer helpful?
The Best Web Hosting Company in Nairobi, Kenya.
Kenya Website Experts Ltd is the best website hosting company in Nairobi, Kenya that offers; cheap web hosting services in Kenya, domain registration in Kenya, co.ke domain names, email hosting services in Kenya, G Suite Emails for work, asp .net windows web hosting, vps servers, dedicated servers and website builder. We offer ultra fast, reliable, affordable and secure shared website hosting services, email hosting, cloud hosting and SSL certificates. We make registration of Kenyan domain names (.co.ke, .or.ke .ac.ke) and international domains (.com, .org, .net) fast, simple, and affordable. Our expert team is always on hand to help answer your questions, get you started, and grow your presence online. We deliver on performance, security, reliability and customer service day in, day out, and we’re a trusted partner for our thousands of clients.